Sewing 101Basic Sewing Skills for New Sewers
All projects are skill-based in which to build your sewing confidence. It is the intent of instructor to work with students to complete projects during the course. Students will have “sewing” homework and will finish between 3 – 4 projects during course. If extra time is needed for students to finish projects, Saturday class will be offered.
Open to ALL – 8 years and older | 2-hour classes | Maximum class size of 4 students | *2-student minimum | Cost is $160 for 6-classes (12 hours of instruction), which includes a $15 one-time registration fee | Register [Click here] for class time and dates
Classroom instruction will include the following:
- Learn how to use basic sewing equipment, understand their functions and correct safety procedures.
- Learn about basic pressing equipment, functions and correct safety procedures.
- Identify basic fibers and characteristics.
- Discuss terminology of woven fabrics and how fabric construction affects fabric selection.
- Learn how to read pattern envelopes and guidesheets/instructions for pre-construction skills at the beginning level.
- Learn and practice construction techniques.
- Construct project using basic sewing techniques.
Sewing Machines & Binders:
- Sewing machines are provided for classroom instruction. Binders that contain sewing & project information provided.
- Tote Bag (a homework assignment to help you become proficient in sewing a straight stitch!)
- Drawstring Backpack
- Travel Pillow with Handle
- A-line Skirt with elastic casing waistband