Sewing 201Sewing Skills for Intermediate Sewers
This is an ongoing intermediate sewing class and can be taken throughout the year.
Students will need to have completed the Sewing 101 course or have interviewed with instructor to demonstrate their understanding of basic sewing skills and techniques. Students will choose the projects that they would like to do with the guidance of instructor. Suggested projects are listed below. Additionally, students will be putting together a sample portfolio of different sewing techniques that can be used as reference for future projects. It is the intent of instructor to work with students to complete their selected projects during the course of instruction.
- First class of new session will be devoted to starting sample portfolio and choosing projects.
- Field Trip the first Saturday of each month for those students who need guidance in fabric selection.
Open to ALL – ages 9 and older | 2-hour classes | Maximum class size of 4 students | *2-student minimum | Cost is $96 for monthly 4-class course | Register [Click here] for class time and dates
Classroom instruction will include the following:
- Students will use intermediate sewing, surging, and pressing techniques.
- Assemble portfolio samples while learning how to construct and sew in zippers, buttonholes, facings, darts, gathers and closures.
- Identify fabric types, their characteristics and how it affects fabric selection.
- Learn minor pattern alterations and modifications.
- Learn how to read pattern instruction and guide sheets for more detailed projects fort intermediate level construction.
- Learn and practice intermediate construction techniques.
- Construct project using intermediate sewing techniques.
- Sewing machines are provided for classroom instruction. However, students are welcome to bring their own machines if wanted.
Skill-Based Projects Suggestions:
Students have the option to choose their own projects. (*) Indicates easier projects.
- *Peasant blouse
- *Leggings (knit fabric)
- *Maxi Skirt (knit fabric)
- *T-shirt (knit fabric)
- *Shorts or PJ Bottoms
- *Lined Tote Bag
- Gathered Apron
- Ruffled Bag
- Craft Apron
- Quilted Sewing Mat
- Decorative Pillow w/zipper
- Messenger Bag
- Clutch bag w/zipper
- Skirt with pockets, darts, waistband/facings and zipper
- Shirts with collars, facings and/or sleeves
- Button-down shirt with collar, sleeves, with or w/o cuffs
- Fleece Hoodies with pockets and zipper
- Make pencil skirt sloper
- Your choice of pattern or project not listed here
List of materials will be made available during first class dependent on project selection.